Question - Internet connections

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ian948

Ian948

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Can anyone advise how the internet connection situation is locally , I am a newbie considering moving to the area next year.

I have heard possibilities ranging from No service in some areas to fibre optic in some areas ?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you

Ian

San Carlos , MX.
  • soymbonoryday likes this

#2 Robi

Robi

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have Tel Mex. We have Wi Fi which serves three apartments and our house and it works well.

#3 David T

David T

Expert Contributor

• JBay Life Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationGuayabitos, Mexico & Saint Paul, Minnesota

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Robi is correct. TelMex pretty much serves almost everyone with a telephone line that has Infinitum (internet) optional.
David Thompson
Co-Founder, JaltembaBayLife.com

Jaltemba Bay Folk Forum is sponsored by JaltembaBayLife.com, a community website for the villages of Rincón de Guayabitos, La Peñita, Los Ayala and La Colonia as well as the neighboring towns, and includes maps, calendar, travel tips, activities, restaurants, vacation rentals and real estate

#4 bob

bob

Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

It can be very slow at times each day.

#5 Ken & Bea

Ken & Bea

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Our experience has been that download speed has averaged around 1.5-1.7 kilobits per second--not fast, but pretty reliable. Maybe there is a higher-speed package available, or maybe it's faster during the non-tourist season when there is less traffic.

#6 cathouse

cathouse

Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

TelMex has 3 speeds 2 mbps 5 and 10 mbps. I have 5 and its faster and more reliable than anything I got in Canada. Summer or winter dosn't seem to make any differance. If there is a problem seems to be fixed quickly

#7 Robi

Robi

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

We also have the 5 which usually comes in at 3.7 but it seems fairly fast

#8 MexicoRVC

MexicoRVC

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

You are correct I that some places do not have Telmex and they have to use Eric who provides a different service.

#9 Vern

Vern

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Eric is good and has faster connections this year so he said when I saw him on the street today..  His business is Tecno-com I am not sure what the address is.

#10 Tom

Tom

Expert Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I am happy with TelMex. They seem consistent and yes, problems are usually resolved quickly. Time of day does seem to matter. Bruce once proposed that he could tell when the banks were doing their daily reconciling. Others have thought it was children getting out of school and hitting the cyber cafes. No, I do not think the return of the Northerners has much impact. The Mexican locals are no slouches when it comes to bandwidth.

#11 Vern

Vern

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I saw Eric the other day when he adjusted my speed to 3mbs from the old system he had through Telmex.  He goes all the way to 10...  3 is  300 pesos per month and 10 is 90 pesos per month. Month to month.  The cost to set it up is 2500 pesos if he supplies the equipment.  If you bring a router and antenna it will be  less..    Routers are cheap.  He uses D-Link mostly..  I bought my antenna on ebay...  the antenna is a Ubiquiti NanoBridge M5 5GHz 25dBi NB-5G25 ***EXPORT VERSION ***

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649  see photo..  its 16 inches and is very light.. after the set up the equipment is yours... YOU HAVE TO GET THE INTERNATIONAL VERSION TO WORK DOWN HERE, so he says.   v

Attached Thumbnails

• NanoBridge.jpg

#12 BobbieK

BobbieK

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLo de Marcos

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

Would like to talk to Eric, but have been unable to find his shop.  Can anyone tell me where it is?  Thanks.

#13 Vern

Vern

Dedicated Contributor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

The address is Alfredo V. Bonafil 13a.  If you come down the Avenida from the highway to the second street and turn left and then take the first right his shop is on the left..  v

#14 BobbieK

BobbieK

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLo de Marcos

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for the directions, Vern.  Eric's satellite connection sounds better than the broadband that I have been using.

#15 PamelaSToledo

PamelaSToledo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

I agree Eric satellite connection is good and has a good speed.My cousins are using Eric for last one year.

#16 tillerking

tillerking

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

We went to Bucerias last Dec to sign up for Telmex. After stopping back several times over a few months, we found out that no new accounts were available in our area. Something about needing new equipment in Las Varas. So we are still on the waiting list. We had Eric in the past, but didn't want to purchase a new antenna. We bought a "stick" for my laptop from a Telmex dealer in La Penita. It worked most of the time, but is slow. I have to use it outside for reception, same as a cell phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users